If your home has been affected by a flood you know that cleanup efforts are long a tedious. Flood damage causes major expense to homeowners and insurance companies. On top of all of it is the hassle and inconvenience flood damage causes to the lives of those affected by them. The aftermath of a flood can leave homes susceptible to mold, mildew and other hazardous bacteria. What is a homeowner to do if they find themselves in that situation? Here they have taken all the time necessary to remedy the flood situation only to find themselves knee deep in another problem.Learn more by visiting Water Mold Fire Restoration of Washington DC
Mold restoration most likely will require professional services. Although small amounts of mold can be treated by homeowners it is best to evaluate each situation to determine the proper course of action. Mold is common to outdoor environments but when mold affects your home it becomes a whole different story. Not only does mold create an unpleasant environment visually it is harmful to the health of the people and animals within the home as well.
Here is a list of the major dos and don’ts involved in the process of restoring your home when mold wreaks havoc.
1) The fungus that is mold needs water to grow and spread. You must first eliminate the source of water and humidity to halt the spore’s growth. If you do not you will be wasting your time removing the mold because it will just reoccur given the environment has not changes. Eliminating the source of water will ultimately eliminate the environment the spores thrive in.
2) Protective gear must be worn at all times when dealing with mold growth. Health issues can arise from the mycotoxins released in spores that are disturbed. Issues from the inhalation and skin contact are common when dealing with mold.
3) Determine the size of your mold invasion. If the size of the issue is relatively small the average homeowner can handle it with proper care. For mold issues greater than a space of 3 feet by 3 feet it is best to call in the professionals.
4) If you are dealing with the issue on your own you will want to take proper care in removing the affected area. All trash related to the infestation should be placed in a heavy duty black garbage bag, sealed and placed outside.
5) The area should then be treated using anti-microbial chemicals. Of course remembering to wear protective gear throughout the process. Sanding all wood surfaces and removing drywall should be sufficient for most minor mold infestation. Scrub any area with a combination of soap and water to clean the area and continue the cleaning process by drying the area thoroughly. Seal any and all wood with primer and sealer to prevent further infestations before completing repairs.
6) If the area affected by mold is of substantial size it is best to call in the professionals. Do not touch or disturb the spores for they release chemicals in the area that can spread the population throughout your home environment.
7) Do not use bleach on the mold. Bleach is hazardous because it does not effectively kill viable spores and colonies before evaporating into the air around you.